Chinese New Year’s Noodles
8 oz. dried rice noodles
12 dried Chinese or oyster mushrooms
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1.5 cups Chinese (celery) cabbage
1.5 cups bean sprouts
1 cup sliced bamboo shoot
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1-2 scallions chopped for garnish
1. Prepare noodles according to package directions and set aside.
2. Soak mushroom in warm water for 20 minutes, squeeze dry, trim off stems, cut into bite-sized pieces.
3. While mushrooms are soaking, make sauce by mixing the chicken or vegetable broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In a skillet or wok, heat peanut oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until garlic barely begins to brown.
5. Add mushrooms, cabbage, bean sprouts, and bamboo shoots and stir fry until tender (about 3-4 minutes)
6. Add sauce and noodles to pan. Lower heat, and simmer uncovered for 3-5 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with sesame oil, if desired, and toss well. Remove from heat, garnish with scallions, and serve.