- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups ham, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Chopped parsley, for garnish, if desired
- Add chicken broth, celery, cabbage, onions and carrot to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir together cream and milk in a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add cream and milk mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until it reaches desired thickness.
- Gradually add cream mixture to vegetable mixture, stirring to combine. Add in ham and thyme. Heat through.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve hot.
Yield: 8 servings